Safe and convenient payment abroad is one of the basic requirements for a positive travel experience – especially when traveling around the world. With the right credit card, you can easily pay all kinds of bills and withdraw cash anywhere in the world. More commentary at gallerimyr.com
Below we have summarized the most important points that you should consider when choosing a credit card for your trip around the world.
Acceptance of credit card institutions
A trip around the world leads to many different countries, which differ not only in their everyday customs and culture, but also in their currency and common payment methods.
Your EC card is only of limited use as a means of payment on a trip around the world, as it is hardly accepted outside the European Union. In addition, cash withdrawals from ATMs abroad are often associated with outrageous fees.
Credit cards, on the other hand, are a quick and secure way to pay bills in hotels and restaurants, shops and tourist attractions worldwide.
What should a credit card do on a trip around the world?
Carrying large amounts of cash not only spoils the relaxed travel experience, but is also associated with a considerable security risk in many countries. Therefore, when choosing a credit card for your trip around the world, you should first and foremost make sure that it allows you to withdraw in the local currency free of charge and that it works at the ATMs of all the countries you want to travel to.
Depending on how long you are on the road and which bills you have to pay abroad, it can also pay off to choose a credit card with a comparatively low foreign currency fee, because the hidden additional costs add up quickly. Inquire with the respective financial institution exactly whether there are no annual or monthly fees for the credit card. Inexpensive Visa or Mastercard cards that are linked to an online account are particularly recommended. These enable you to keep an eye on your expenses and make online transfers if necessary. Not only if you are traveling in countries where the theft rate is comparatively high, you should also pay attention to these important points when buying the credit card:
- Blocking the credit card: What is the emergency procedure like? It is important that you can call 24-hour service numbers in all travel countries after loss or theft in order to have the card blocked immediately.
- Issuing a replacement card: inquire whether the bank will send you a new credit card by courier within a few days. If this is not possible abroad, provide a trustworthy contact person (preferably a family member) in your home country who is willing to send you the replacement card to your holiday destination.
- A daily withdrawal limit, which is agreed in advance with the bank, is an additional security factor that can avoid unnecessary stress in the event of theft.
Suitable offer for world travelers
Experienced globetrotters are happy to recommend the DLB Cash account (including Visa credit card), which enables free withdrawals at over one million ATMs worldwide. If private operators of vending machines in some countries still collect third-party fees, the DLB will reimburse them to the customer. Other advantages of the DLB cash account include:
- no account management fee
- 2 Visa credit cards with either PIN, signature or contactless payment
- Travel account for easy budget planning
- Low fees (foreign currency charges) for cashless payments abroad
Tip: replacement card as security
Experience shows that despite the worldwide acceptance of Visa and Mastercard when withdrawing cash when traveling to distant countries, there can always be problems with a credit card. Since large amounts are often withdrawn at large intervals on world trips, there is also the risk of the credit card being automatically blocked.
For safety reasons, you should therefore carry at least one replacement card from a second provider and always keep it separate from the first card. If you buy the replacement card from a second bank, you also minimize the risk of your bank accidentally blocking the replacement card if the card is stolen.